Thursday, April 5, 2018

Egypt in Fiction


The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips

I read this book years ago and I still smile every time I think about it.  Written through a series of journal entries and letters, this odd and quirky epistolary novel is set in Egypt in the 1920s. It centers around a young archaeologist who is determined to find the lost tomb of Atum-hadu and prove his love for Margaret, the girl he left behind in Boston, even if he has to create the tomb himself. This novel is inventive, unexpected, darkly funny, and utterly unforgettable.



King and Goddess by Judith Tarr

Born the daughter of Tuthmosis I, then married to Tuthmosis II, Hatshepsut lived a truly interesting life. When her husband died, she was declared regent for her young stepson, Tuthmosis III. Instead, she claimed the crown, declared herself king and Pharoah, and ruled the land of Egypt for twenty years. Not only does this book tell the amazing story of an amazing woman, it also gives you the flavor of life in Ancient Egypt. I loved it. Tarr's writing is historical fiction at its best.



Other awesome Egyptian reads:

Chronicle of a Last Summer by Yasmine El Rashidi
The Amelia Peabody Series by Elizabeth Peters



Happy Reading!

14 comments:

  1. My husband is so obsessed with Egypt. Maybe I can convince him to read fiction if Egypt is involved. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a try. Christian Jacq has written a couple of series about Egypt and Ramses that I've heard is really good. He might like those.

      Delete
  2. Great list - I would like to read more fiction on Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to get a sense of a place.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic suggestions! I have read the Egyptologist and really liked it (darkly funny is right!).

    The Amelia Peabody series (I've only read the first 3) is also a lot of fun...but I can only take them in small doses...too much growling and roaring from Emerson. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Egyptologist is a one-of-a-kind book, isn't it? (And to be honest, I haven't read the entire Amelia Peabody series either.)

      Delete
  4. I've been curious with Elizabeth Peters' books since I haven't read any of them. Do we have to read them in order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably good to start out with the first one, but I've sort of skipped around in them, reading the ones that sounded the most interesting.

      Delete
  5. I always say I want to read more about Egypt, my brother has visited a few times and I LOVE the stories and history, thanks love xxx

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egypt is such a fascinating place, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  6. The Amelia Peabody series is a good one. If you want an Egyptian novel set in current times, I highly recommend The Yacoubian Building. Can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips is going on my TBR list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an odd, quirky read and I loved it. Hope you do, too.

      Delete